Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 5 - Luxor, Karnak, and a Faluka Ride

We were up early and flew to Luxor. It was amazing to see the Nile from up above, literally just a little strip of green in a vast desert. In Luxor, we first visited Karnak, a huge temple and, if I remember right, the largest/most intact temple site. Probably could have spent all day there, as the 1 1/2 hrs we were there was nowhere near enough.

The color on some of the buildings was incredible (and supposedly not touched up, only cleaned off).After lunch, I went for a walk...the only one I went on by myself the whole trip, because while the men who approached me were harmless I'm sure, I was still a little uncomfortable. But I just *happened* to stumble upon the wastewater treatment plant tho, go figure.

Highlight of the day...definitely the faluka ride. There wasn't enough breeze to actually 'sail', so we were pulled the whole way by another boat. But the sunset was spectacular!

For more photos...

No comments: