Thursday, June 20, 2013

WY Road Trip - Day 11 (incl Badlands!)

Driving around the Black Hills...

Mt. Rushmore from a distance:

Pigtail tunnel in Custer State Park:


This is what we would have seen the night before:




Pucker up, Abe:


Kid B didn't want to kiss Abe, so he just cradled him in his hand...awww

Eeyore didn't want to kiss him either:

Wall Drug pitstop for ice cream after dropping their daddy off at the airport (just as cheesy as I remembered):

Yay - one of my very favorite national parks! And it wasn't just because it was my first national park visit west of the Mississippi. Badlands was just as amazing and awe-inspiring as I remembered from over 15 years ago:

Favorite pic from Badlands:

But first, more prairie dogs and tatanka...



...and weird bugs:

Kids were fascinated by a dung beetle:


We saw bighorn sheep too!


The beautiful scenery...





Proud of Kid C for walking beyond this sign (and then letting me take a picture of him with the sign):

Shhh kids, don't tell mom and dad I let you do this (oops)

Made it to the top!


Find the deer:

The Yellow Mounds:

Oh yeah, they had to get back down after the climb up (look how crowded the parking lot was...):

Lucky for me, they were awesome troopers the whole trip so I didn't actually have to lock them in jail at any point...

More scenery, just taking it all in...









Amazing to watch the colors change as the sun sets:


 

No comments: