Thursday, July 3, 2014

Wildlife!

Hard to believe I've been home over a week already!  The question folks have been asking the most is "did you see any wildlife?"  And yes I did!  Here are a few pics...

Deer walking down the street in Ketchikan

 Orca!  We saw a whole bunch as we left Ketchikan (didn't get any great photos of them though)

Missed humpback whale picture...only saw 2 the whole trip, which kinda surprised me

Bald eagles were everywhere in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah 

Soaring with the kayakers 

Younger bald eagle that hasn't fully molted yet

I'm pretty sure this one was a golden eagle, because it was huge (and must have been used to people because we were able to get pretty close!)

Every time you looked up you would see an eagle...or 12

Tried to capture how many were flying around at any given point...only got 3 in this pic (one is in the tree)

On to the Mendenhall Glacier outside Juneau...we didn't see bear, but evidently they were nearby...recently

Saw lots of arctic birds here 

And if you look hard enough, there were mountain goats near the glacier too (look in the middle, toward the top 1/3 of the photo - okay, yeah they're tiny, but I saw them through a telescope, they are there!) 

If you can't see the ones above, maybe you can see these white dots - this was during the train ride from Skagway, there were a bunch of mountain goats on the other side of the river valley 

It was so cool to see so many!  As I had never seen them anywhere before.

 And then we saw a black bear and a grizzly!

(Okay, so we were at a wildlife sanctuary between Seward and Anchorage...) 

That had baby moose too - so cute!

 But then I actually did see 2 moose in the wild...or suburbs of Anchorage at least (see downtown in the distance)

 Last stop in Alaska, a little park with a lake, on my way back to Anchorage from Denali State Park


No comments: