Sunday, April 17, 2016

Spring Hike in the Balkans

Today I had the opportunity to go hiking in the Rila Mountains, about 2 hours south of Sofia, with a coworker, Milena, and her friends. So glad she invited me, it was so amazingly gorgeous! My photos do not do it justice.

First glimpse of Maljovitsa Peak (2,729 m)...



The trail was a bit more snow covered than I was expecting...

The wildflowers were blooming all over, where there wasn't snow...


Our resting point, both coming and going, at a guesthouse part way up the mountain...

But I'm not sure I'd want to stay in these...


...or camp either though...
...good thing we were just day hiking

The views were so amazing, it made Milena wanna just jump for joy! 




After climbing up this hill, we decided to turn around...

But then we had to go back down...wish I had a sled

Making shopska salad...yes, they hiked with a cucumber, tomatoes and cheese (I'll know for next time!)

The view during our picnic lunch...



There were several springs along the way so we could refill our water bottles...yes I drank the water and no I didn't get sick

Last glimpses...sigh, I want to go back already

No comments: