Friday, April 8, 2016

Veliko Tarnovo

I went on a day trip to Veliko Tarnovo after only being in Bulgaria for three days. This is a municipality about 3 hours outside of Sofia. I met with the Deputy Mayor there to talk about his experience with flooding and natural disasters.
Biggest problem - funding. That sounds familiar.

Downtown Veliko Tarnovo


Yantra River 



Tsarevets - medieval fortress right near downtown
   


Much of it has been rebuilt...if you can't tell

Including the church at the top of the hill


Looking back towards the main part of town




This was the tower where the prisoners were locked up.

I thought it would have been a great view from there


Until I saw that these were the windows

Gypsy burning a tire to get the metal out.  Nice. While I admire their dedication to recycling items, burning tires can't be good for the environment... 

 Veliko Tarnovo University

The round green thing in the foreground was a speaker - occasionally they would give a little background on the fort in various languages (English included)  

It felt like my own personal photo shoot with my driver, Krassi, directing me where to stand and he would take photos. I'm not one to have my photo taken, but he was very sweet, so I let him.

This was such a beautiful fort, but definitely from another time period. This is execution rock, with the river below. I'll let you figure it out. 

Here I am with Krassi...had to get at least one with him in it too!

I was sure not to do any yoga on the walls

Sometimes I think my phone takes better pictures... 

  

The weather looked like it was taking a turn for the worse, so we called it a day and headed back to Sofia.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I've been enjoying your posts and photos, but it's great to see you in some! I think Krassi had a crush on you!