This past Saturday, my friend and I participated in the National Day of Service by heading to the DC Armory to help stuff bags with toiletries and whatnot for our troops and emergency first responders. Lines were long to get in and you had to go through security, so we speculated at who might show up. When the speakers started, they introduced Janet Napolitano (Secretary of Homeland Security, and former AZ Governor when I lived there) and so we figured that was it.
(bad cell phone pick of Napolitano from a distance)
We made one pass through the assembly line set-up, filling up some bags. Our line took quite awhile, so we decided to pick a different line for our second pass (there were about 8 lines total). And boy did we pick a winner! After awhile, the line stopped and they told us there would be a delay, but it was worth it. It turns out Dr Jill and VP Joe Biden showed up to help hand out the goodies for the bags.
Thinking we wouldn't get up there before they left, I got up as close as I could and snapped this picture:
But then we started moving again, and my friend and I realized we were going to get to meet the Bidens! I apologize for the really bad cell phone pics...but you can tell who it is, and I was trying to keep moving, fill my bags, and still get a few pics...
Getting closer...
Almost there...
I exchanged a few words with Joe...of course in hindsight I've thought of a hundred things I could have said or asked. Oh well, maybe next time I run into him.
Cannot forget to mention that we also got to see the target dog :-)





No comments:
Post a Comment