So, I'll pick up where I left off in October of last year (see previous blog post here)...
Those of you who follow me on Facebook, will probably remember Dixie Marie (now known as Pickles) since I ran with her sooooooooo many times. Now that she's been adopted, it's safe to admit that Dixie was one of my all time favorites. Can you tell? I think the feeling was mutual.
She spent an awful lot of time in the back of my Jeep (which ironically was previously named Pickles by my nephews).
Ratatouille went home too:
Then there were a bunch of pups that I only ran or walked with once or twice before they went to their furever homes...
Mighty:
Meatloaf:
Pogo:
Carl
And those who are at the shelter such a short amount of time, you forget their names (sorry pup!):
And there are those who you took to special events...like make out sessions with Santa...
Squish:
And then there's been a few others who I spent quite a bit of time with...
1st run with Roscoe:Captain Planet:
Flower:
Pogo:
Roscoe:
Squish:
I took Roscoe on many iPAW hikes:
When Roscoe wasn't able to join us at PACK (sometimes pups are "grounded" for a week when they misbehave), I ran with Cherokee one weekend:
It's not always about the dogs...in January I attended the Architects for Animals event, where architect firms designed enclosures for community cat colonies. Some of them were pretty awesome:
Attend this years Designs for Felines: Giving Community Cats Shelter event on January 20th (unfortunately, I'll be out of town for work so I'll miss it this year)But then this happened...
But I couldn't stay away long...once I was given the green light to drive I was back at PACK!
Look - it took two people to handle Roscoe while I was out of commission! ;-)
Clive tried to comfort me about being in a boot...
And the next week Japan let me dress him up for a smile...
Since I was allowed to walk as much as I wanted, I could still help out with Instagram photo shoots...
Little Missy:
Roscoe (who went to his furever home after SIX MONTH at the shelter not too long after this!!!):
Smoke:[follow adoptable WHS pitties on Instagram at @whsadoptabulls]
My 1st PACK out of the boot...and while I wasn't supposed to run quite yet...couldn't help but romp through the snow with Smoke:
Love this pic of Smoke, so had to include it...she was another long timer with many trips in the back of my Jeep under her belt before getting adopted:
One weekend I transported Missy...
...but then walked with timid Kane since I still couldn't runPups sometimes find treasures while at PACK...
Daisy LOVED this ball she found:
Another pup who wasn't there very long...I think I only took Socki on one iPAW outing before he was adopted:
Missing my gal Dixie, I enjoyed spending time with her (not quite) doppelganger Pina:
Some pups don't monkey around...unless your name is Monkey! This pup was crazy happy all-the-time:
He LOVED riding with his head out the window:
PACK doesn't discriminate...the little dogs often join us too...
Julez:
And sometimes we get the joy of meeting the adoptive parent(s)...Smoke finally going home after 131 days at the shelter:
Going back to where it all began for me...I helped organize the PACK outing to the Poplar Springs Run for the Animals in May:
Crossing the finish line with Frank:
Some days, the dog you have at PACK just isn't interested in running...this particular weekend that dog was Bo Peep...but we still enjoyed our outing at the National Arboretum anyway:
The tripods typically get snatched up pretty quick (everyone is a sucker for a 3-legged dog), except for some reason Big Mac...but he thoroughly enjoyed every single one of his PACK outings:
Another iPAW outing with...
Happy:
and Paulie:
Then the start of my next longer-term project...not as long as Dixie or Roscoe, but she was such a great dog to be passed over for as long as she was!
Priscilla:
Why the long face, Priscilla? Maybe because she was adopted but then returned :-(
While Priscilla was on her short vacation from the shelter, I took Sophia on an iPAW outing:
But then Priscilla and I were reunited again for a few more runs before she did finally find the just right home:
[unfortunately, Gloria was just recently returned...so she's again waiting for her truly furever home]
Troy was another one of those pups who got "grounded"...but was so happy to get out on this first post-grounded iPAW outing:
In other firsts, Lady Pickles had the privilege of being the first to get to ride up front in my car (but it got her to stop barking):
Every once and awhile you get to spend some time with an adorable puppy!
Lupita at an adoption event:
And other times you get to handle a dog that is just awesome, so much so that you're not surprised when they go home later that day...
Jada, at the Out of Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk in September:
Another little dog at PACK...
Sage:
Not even off the plane 12 hours after vacation, and I couldn't stay away from PACK...
Penny:
Combining two of my passions...took Phoenix to VegFest in October:
Not too much usually running happens at PACK when you have a little guy...
Roberto:
I didn't run with Squirrelly during his previous stints at the shelter...but when I heard he was returned (for the 3rd time I think), I had to go take him on an iPAW outing:
And whomever took this guy home, I hope they like snuggling...
Gage at an adoption event:
Gage at an adoption event:
Okay, even I am amazed at this point with how many different pups I've spent time with...here are two more I took for a stroll in the neighborhood around the GAA shelter...
Bosa:
Sadie:
As is pretty typical for a day off work, I headed to the shelter on Veterans Day to walk a few pups. Little did I know it was going to start my latest long-term relationship...
First run with Ivy:
I also walked with...
Haley:
And Wolfgang:
And Zona:
Rocko was there when I needed him the most (little did he even know)...but I love this picture of him...captured how much he loves rolling in the leaves:
Another small dog PACK...
With Jelly:
Another iPAW outing with a friend and Stephanie (yes, Stephanie was the dog's name, not my friend's name...):
We did a special Thanksgiving PACK...
I ran with Ivy of course:
For black Friday I walked a few pups instead of shopping...
Including Coraline:
Some weeks we have enough drivers that I don't always transport. While I miss spending the extra time with just one pup, I get to spend time with them all instead!
This particular week, I ran with Daisy [yes, sometimes the names repeat]:
Santa time again...took String Bean for his picture with Santa...and he went home that afternoon:
Most recently (until Ivy got adopted last weekend!!), I was splitting my PACK runs between Ivy and Blossom. Blossom may be 9 years young, but she can still give me a run for my money! She's also still currently waiting for her furever family to take her home.
And a few more pups who I've walked recently, all of which are still waiting for their furever homes...
Rushmore:
Gwendolyn:
Cooper:
Jack:
[late breaking news...Jack was adopted today!!]
****************************************************
And now for the lows. If you really don't want to know the realities about non no-kill shelters, then please don't read any further.
****************************************************
****************************************************
But for various reasons (not all of which I agree with, but I try to understand) we had to say goodbye to some of our GAA PACK friends this year and I wanted to honor their memory here. I know we made their short time in this world that much brighter, and that just motivates me to keep on doing what I'm doing.
Egypt
Mona Lisa
Corona/Matilda
And the hardest for me...my crazy Doodlebug
[yes, he was adopted, but was returned]
RIP pups...may you be happily chasing squirrels in doggie heaven!








































No comments:
Post a Comment